Tonight's outing was to The Wrathskellar, the latest production by the Babydolls -- it was quite neat and rather different from the usual. The show is deliberately darker than Babydolls norm, downright Brechtian at times, although still leavened by the usual humor. It was made up of the current Babydolls core (minus Betty, who was sadly on the DL), and everyone did a fine job. Some highlights included:
- Mina's "Blue Angel" routine was just plain beautiful, a simple but elegant strip that was a joy to watch;
- In the second act, Honey's "When You're Good to Mama" was surely one of the most perfect pairings of performer and song possible: the song is well-suited to the purpose, and she played it for all it was worth;
- Dainty showed herself to have become a full-fledged member of the troupe in every way, with two excellent routines (her "Missed Me", in the second act, was especially great -- beautiful, sad, and utterly unreserved);
- Joy matched one of her usual beautiful songs in the first act with an unsettlingly hot strip in the second;
- and of course, Ruby was brilliantly funny as always: her "Malambo No. 1" was indescribably strange, equal parts strip, interpretive dance, and Chiquita Banana.